Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The flight

I never sleep well on flights but this time we had invested in neck rests with cooling gel inside and I actually managed to sleep some on the first leg of the flight that was 16 hours long from Cape Town to Newark.  We had a wait of little over 3 hours for our next flight to Greensboro and we thought that was plenty until we saw the queues at passport control. It snaked from here to hell and gone and would take us much longer than 3 hours.  Luckily one of the ladies asked to see our passports and then took us straight into a much shorter queue which then gave us enough time to stop-over at Dunkin Donuts for doughnuts and what they deemed to be coffee.  It was that bad, we ended up chucking it. When John ordered the coffee, he mistakenly ordered with cream and sugar and I don't take sugar in my coffee, so he had to buy a third coffee which was also chucked.

The flight in the little aeroplane to Greensboro went very fast but by then my arm was feeling it and I couldn't wait to get to the hotel so I could take the sling off and do my exercises. On getting to the hotel, we showered and decided to go to Darryl's for supper as it was walking distance from the hotel.  I ordered the lasagna and John ordered the grill burger at the waiter's suggestion.  We were not impressed with our dinners. I kept on making sums to see what the meals would cost in rands and so I brought my doggie bag home and had leftovers for lunch yesterday.  John wouldn't touch his leftovers he was that disgusted with it.  I wasn't gonna waste good money like that. Waste not, want not, right "-).

By 13h00 our time but 20h00 in South Africa, I was so sleepy and couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.  We fell asleep and woke up at about 02h00 ravenously hungry and we had nothing in the room to eat.  It was a long wait till breakfast which started at 06h30.  On the website it had said a warm breakfast would be served.  That consisted of warm waffles which you could make yourself, hard-boiled eggs in a plastic bag, all kinds of bread, bagels, muffins and even French toast, jams, peanut butter, butter and cream cheese.  Not a tomato or lettuce leaf in sight. My soul needed some veggies so it was time to go shopping.







No comments:

Post a Comment