Thursday, January 9, 2020

Help, it's so cold

Wednesday the 8th, we left the apartment early morning as John had to be at orientation by 9.  It was so cold that I thought my nose would get frostbite. They were given breakfast and John said I should join but I didn't feel comfortable as I wasn't an exchange student so I walked over to the canteen which is still closed and will only open when all the students are back but there was a Barnes Noble in the same centre with a Starbucks.  I decided to have my breakfast there but what a disaster.  Anyone who knows me knows I love eggs.  They only had egg white muffins with Canadian bacon.  The waiters were all trainees as the muffin I got were so hot I had to wait a while before I could touch it and then it was so tough, I was glad I still had my own teeth as dentures would not have been up to the task. When you order, they ask your name and write it on your coffee cup, so a cappuccino arrived with the name Kelly on it and I asked could that possibly be Candy and the girl said "well it's a cappuccino" so duh it must be mine then.

I then decided to walk around in the centre as I was on the lookout for a stand to put my phone and Kindle on when I wanted to read something.  Found nothing in Barnes & Noble and then decided to go check out Yum Yum.  Everybody we spoke to had said that this was the best restaurant on campus for hotdogs and ice cream.  I wasn't interested in the ice cream but the hotdog.  I ordered one with slaw and expected to be wowed but at $1.90 I guess I shouldn't have expected much.  It was the tiniest little red worsie with heaps of slaw and some ketchup.  I was not impressed.

I then walked to the library and decided to sit there and read a book while I waited for John.  It was called Sister of Mine by Laurie Petrou and it was such an interesting read that I went to ask if I could join the library.  I was told that it would cost $35 a year but as we were only going to be here for 5 months, John, who had free access, could take out books for me, which he did.  I finished the book in half a day and now need to go back for more.

On Tuesday, we had bought a chicken salad at Bojangles that was so huge I had brought half mine home for dinner but only got to it on Wednesday and the little fridge had been set to the coldest and had frozen my salad.  So last night for supper I fished out the chicken between the frozen lettuce and cucumber and had that to eat. John had one of those pre-packed microwave meals.  I need to go grocery shopping but to cook.  I'm so scared of what it's gonna cost though as I have to restock a kitchen from scratch but for only 4 months and a week. I'm not sure how I'm going to do that without bankrupting us, but shopping day is tomorrow so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment